Friday, April 24, 2009

New QB for a new computer?


From a client:



Subject: Computer


My laptop is dying. Should I get a new Quickbooks on the new computer?



My Reply:



According to my files, you have been using the QB 2003 program.  Technically, if you still have the original program disc, you can install it on your new computer.  The problem will be in updating it for maintenance releases that were issued after the original program CD.  Intuit doesn't provide any official support for any version of QB that is over three years old.  Support for the 2006 program is expiring in May 2009.

That means that this would probably be a good time for you to upgrade to the newest version of the program, which is 2009.  Your data can be rolled over into this new version without losing anything.  
You should actually like the newer version of QB better than the 2003 program.  It includes a very handy way to send me QBX files directly from within the program, using an Intuit online file storage service that is better integrated with the program than the one I use.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any problems or questions.

Kerry


Follow-Up:



Thanks. I will probably do that.