Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Installing QB on Multiple Computers

From A Client:

Hi Kerry,

Part of why I've been holding off on sending you the corp data file is because I have a copy of QB 2009 and that should eliminate our Accountants copy problem with my 2007 version (I think) but I'm concerned to upgrade - I have only one license to use and I'm currently running 2007 on 2 machines (yeah w/1 license still but I'm concerned that they've improved their license algorithms....can you offer any insite? i.e. has the file structure changed from 2007 - 2009 whereby I could keep 2007 on my wife's machine and her still be able to make entries?)

My Reply:

In regard to the QB installation issue, I have never had any problems installing a copy of the program on multiple computers with one user license. The user license for QB programs is more for simultaneous users of the program rather than on the number of computers it can be installed on. They do sell versions of QB for multiple simultaneous users so that several people can access a data file at the same time. That is not the same thing as having a single user version of the program installed on multiple computers. As long as you register the program with the same phone number on each computer, there shouldn't be a problem. I have been doing that for several years, including the 2009 programs.

Just in case you don't want to lose your 2007 settings, it is also possible to install multiple versions of QB on the same computer. I have every version from 1999 to the 2010 beta installed on my computer because clients upgrade at differing times. The key is to not use the default installation folders. I manually set up a main folder called QuickBooks and then I have a subfolder under that for each version of QB. When installing the program, I manually select the appropriate folder to install into. I also manually set up folders for where I want the data files to be held. This keeps each year's program nice and separate. I can also actually have multiple versions of QB open at the same time on the same computer; which I have needed to do on a few occasions.

Since you already have the 2007 program working, I wouldn't mess with its installation folders. You should set up a new folder for the 2009 program and install it into that folder.

As always, once your data file has been upgraded to work with the 2009 program, it will no longer be accessible from inside any earlier version of QB

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions or problems.

Kerry

Follow-Up:

Hello,

Thank you for the advice on QB. I now have 2009 installed and am using it for the personal and 2007 running for the corp. This way I can have both company files open at the same time having 1 set of books on 1 monitor and the other on the other - makes things easier!