Saturday, January 24, 2009

Compressing QB Files


Q:



Subject:  QB COMPRESS FILE


Hi Tax Guru – thanks for the info.


But……my regular file is 21 MB – when I create a portable file 16 MB and even an accountants copy only goes down to 16 MB.


And believe me – my company is pretty small – neither my accountant nor my bookkeeper have any suggestions.


Any other ideas – maybe something is set up incorrectly?


The last time I created a portable it went through e-mail at 16 MB – it’s not going through any more.


Thanks



A:



That is very strange.  I have always seen the QBM and QBX files come out at about a fifth the size of the QBW files.

What version of the QB program are you using?  Make sure it has been updated to the most current maintenance release.  If your program version is over three years old, you may also want to consider upgrading to a newer one.

I have seen clients squeeze even QBX files down to a little smaller size by zipping them, so you may want to give that a try.  The zip program should be able to shrink the file down even more.

Good luck.  I hope this helps a little.

Kerry Kerstetter



Follow-Up:



Hmm - I'll run and see if I can update my version - but it's 2007 premier.